Thursday, June 25, 2009

Thing #2 Wordle Action and Word Sifting Some Thoughts: Sea Fever

I must go down to the sea...
I actually prefer going the way of a Wordle than actually going...at least to the Gulf. Now if it is Hawaii...we might have to talk!


I think using a Wordle to study poetry would present an interesting way to pull things out of the poetry that may not come in the more traditional way.  The classic poem Sea Fever by John Mansfield came to mind recently (as I was collecting all my bits and pieces of beach/sea trivia in light of this current adventure!) I learned it in 6th grade as part of our monthly poetry memorization work. Not sure I really understand it any better all these years later, but I do get a sense of  longing when repeating "I must go down to the sea..."

It's good to have something pulling you...be it the sea, the mountains, a time, a memory, a passion...for something or someone...  Anything tugging at you these days?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Putting the poem through Word Sift brought up some interesting visual cues...what a tremendous benefit for anyone who tries to help students understand vocabulary on any level of any kind!

Just look at the visual cue that came out my Word Sift of Sea Fever for the word spum...
How can you not now understand what it means when you connect "foam or froth on the sea"with this exquisite view.




Credits:
Wordle: http://www.wordle.net/
Photo: Bob Harris
http://www.treknature.com/gallery/North_America/United_States/photo171637.htm


No comments:

Post a Comment