Saturday, August 8, 2009

Things about Things 5 & 3: Tying Up Loose Ends

Need to spend a few minutes updating and bring closure to some thoughts so I can move on and (hopefully) complete all my other tasks!

I finally got the issue with Twitter straightened out that allows others to sign up to follow me without me having to know about them first. Not that I feel important, but it was causing others distress because they thought they were doing things wrong!

As to what was the issue, I don't really know. I signed up and my account acted like I had reached the follower plateau that causes new ones not to be added. It took several sessions with another member to compare our settings. Could not resolve anything before I had to put it on the shelf. When I received notice that another player had added me, that's when I knew the unknown problem was resolved!

I am still firm on what I will be using it for...I want to follow folks who are basically only going to report about professionally related things. Included on my current list are David Warlick (2 Cents), Joyce Valenza (Neverending Search), Vicki Davis (CoolCat), Michael Stephens (Tame the Web), Scott McLeod (Dangerously Irrelevant), Barry Bishop (Librarian Philospher), Lynette Breedlove (To Be GT), my school district and eSchool News. I have chosen to add one local personality who tweets about Houston traffic. JUST today I found out that one of my favorite bloggers who I have been reading for almost 5 years is thinking she will be doing more tweeting than blogging and I will be adding her...she is worthy of my time because her motherhood and dog stories make me laugh out loud ...and I will treat myself to those when needed!

I still am not sure about the phone part of this. I made some modifications for doing/receiving by phone but really have not pursued it. A personal event (aka my daughter's wedding) has been first priority this summer and some of my learning curve has taken a dive and I just need some time to get back on track. And I will because tweetering by phone seems to make more sense.

So if you want to follow me and see what is on my mind professionally look for VWBrarian.

*************

Facebook update:

Regarding Facebook, I did fall into the social part of it a little deeper than I thought, but am not sure all the fun and games will continue after school starts back and the work schedule becomes more normal. I did enjoy sharing things about the wedding with everyone as it unfolded, especially the week it was all happening. I do like having a place to put pictures that can be shared. I have enjoyed some of the little tests and writing about the results...it has been fun to see others reactions as well.

One of the nicest things to come out of the experience is the rekindling of a friendship that because of life interruptions had somewhat become dormant. But we have gotten back together, mostly over sharing our common theme of raising girls!! And that has been a lot of fun. I said it before in my original post about FB...it is the virtual watercooler. I get to interact informally with people whom I do not see regularly, be they local or long-distance. And I like that very much. The nature of my work currently does not allow me much daily contact with a group of people since I am no longer on a campus. Ilike sharing tidbits of news and passing thoughts.

For those who have written about being too tied to the computer and they would rather enjoy "real" life, I agree with you and I do what I can to keep in touch with people in the real world. I plan encounters regularly, I see people regularly, but it is so nice to have a way to interact with family and friends daily...if I want to! And that is a nice feature...FB is structured so that I can interact when I want...I am not "tied" to it unless I want to be!

**********

A Skype Adventure

A good friend and colleague, Grendel from GOI-BOK and I found ourselves in different cities a few weeks ago and wanting to catch up, we decided we would have a Skype session. It turned into more of an adventure and a late night full of laughs, but it ended successfully. It did take two cells and three computers to accomplish, but we both learned lots and had fun at the same time.

I am totally convinced I will be using Skype in the future once other family members get set up and we have a chance to work together on making it happen. I am not sure I will be thrilled using a camera, but I will work hard in overcoming that feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment