Saturday, August 8, 2009

Thing #7: Fodder for a TV Junkie

I admit it. Having to check out video resources is a difficult task for me...like a kid trying to pick one type of ice cream at Baskin-Robbins or one type of candy in an old-fashion candy store! It was painful, but somebody had to do it! Folks, I'm a TV junkie! I only purchase so much cable, less for budget reasons than I would never get anything done if I had any more choices!


I have always tried to add video to my teaching in whatever form was available ever since the days of the 3/4 in. video tapes and the 2-man size players we had way back in the late 70s! One of my first responsibilities as a librarian was managing the in-house video distribution center for my my school.


To have video on demand from numerous sources at our fingertips is just wonderful! No timelines to maintain, no schedule books for limited equipment, and choices for all levels and all needs...not to mention the uploading of student projects with the freedom to view whenever!


I have visited and used videos from all of the sources included in this activity. I really hope our district eventually will make YouTube available, but the ease of converting a video with a program like Zamzar makes me ok with the restriction if it has to be.


I do worry that like VHS and DVD movies, some of this video will be used for babysitting purposes and not as support for teaching and learning situations. But as with the previous formats, good uses make its availability necessary. I am really anxious to see home-grown products added and shared. I hope this summer activity will lead to such projects in many classrooms and libraries.


For my samples, I pulled some YouTube videos showcasing one of my favorite authors who died a few days ago. Frank McCourt always fascinated me, not only with his writing about his family, his life in Ireland, and his teaching experiences, but with his outlook on life in general. I would have loved to have known him in real life and had dinner conversation with him. But I get to read his words and hear his voice. That's good enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment