Friday, July 3, 2009

Thing #4 An Uploading Experience!

I have been a YouTube consumer for a long time and now I am a contributor!
I signed up for an account...the same ol' same ol' info required. In doing so I also became my own channel! Who knew!

So then I had to figure out what I was going to contribute and that took awhile...I don't have any clever, cute, and worthy kids' projects to share. I only have samples of different things that I use to demonstrate to folks who are going to end up with lots of clever, cute, and worthy kids' projects!

I decided to upload one of my many Animotos that turned out pretty nicely...I threw some "B things" pictures from FlickrCC together one day and discussed how it could be an alphabet lesson, an opportunity to use and think about descriptive words (or as we used to call them in the olden days--adjectives) and even as writing prompt ideas....that all just happen to start with B!

After reading about how to upload and watching the videos provided at YouTube, including an updated version of one, I decided it sounded pretty simple, BUT I also decided to let the power of these programs help me. Animoto has an automatic upload to YouTube feature so I used that and it was very easy...hardest part was waiting the 10-15 minutes...so I folded clothes and put in another load of washing...the fun stuff of life!



Because I did it that way, I didn't have to worry too much about the extensions or other technical needs. The two services already know how to talk to each other! Cool tools.

Now...the issues I did have. I could not locate my video without signing into my account and getting it that way. That can be a good thing and a bad thing! Good in that it is just not widely available to just anyone, but it is not the most interesting subject so I really am not worried. The bad thing...the title "B Things" is too generic...there are all kinds of videos that come up when that term is search. Ditto for the tags...alphabet, adjectives, descriptive words. I also tried searching by my username. Nope, nothing, nada! So for now (and probably forever) I will have to supply the link to anyone who wants to see my creations.


I do need to practice with something that I actually have to upload and so I am going to sign off my MAC and move to my PC and see if one of my Photostories is worthy. (Yes, I need to get organized with one or more of the many tools available and bring my resources together in one place.)

So until later...see you on a channel somewhere!

***********************

Ok, I found a Photostory so I could practice an actual uplaod to YouTube. Again, my choices were slim and none, but it provided what I needed... a wmv file to upload. Yes, be sure you use the finished version of your Photostory--wmv, not the working copy (editable)--wp3.

The video uploaded quickly to Youtube, BUT the processing took "forever" in relationship to the very short length of the PhotoStory itself...I just did more chores around the house. There were plenty to choose to fill the time.

Here it is. Remember, it is nothing more than a demo for training purposes.



Yes, you are noticing the different sizes. Both are the smallest versions available so what it was originally may affect the sizes you have available to you to upload. I purposely messed with the borders as well to see if that affected the size...nope. The Animoto upload is jsut going to be larger than the blog space...oh, well! Remember, every bit of all of this cost me zero! That fact makes it look great, doesn't it?

O, another bit of an update. I used my initials as part of my title...and yes, that DID help my video to float to the top of all the pumpkin videos! So, at least I will be able to find it when I need it. I think I might do that to any others I upload.

I do plan to spend some time with TeacherTube and SchoolTube to see what do at those locations. I have basically run out of samples so I'll have do uploads at some other time.

Can't wait to see what you upload!

3 comments:

  1. These are helpful comments! You are ahead of me so thanks for paving the way so my ride will be smoother

    ReplyDelete
  2. WELL, I uploaded a powerpoint from my teacher files to Youtube, only to discover that I had uploaded the wrong powerpoint! I did not have the time to look through the other files to locate the one I wanted so I made the decision to leave it on youtube and wait till tomorrow, for tomorrow IS ANOTHER DAY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm glad to see that what I got out of the exercise was similar to your experience. I love being able to learn and discover all from home AND get non-contract hours... this is a brilliant idea. I see that you're onto the next session... I look forward to that discovery!

    ReplyDelete